Well, I'm pretty sure those are not Northern Pike the chef is holding. And I'm not sure his contention that "When you say northern pike people get scared," is accurate. Maybe for those who do not fish. But that aside, Northern Pike Cakes are delicious.
Chef Barnard does not share his recipe, but here's mine. First, I must apologize. At camp, I never measure anything. Use your best judgement.
- Leftover cooked Pike, flaked
- Bread or Cracker Crumbs or Panko
- Chopped Onions and Minced Garlic, very lightly sauteed
- Your favorite seasonings. I like Mrs Dash Garlic and Herb Blend or occasionally Lawry's Season Salt. Sometimes I use Tarragon or sometimes Curry Powder. Change is good, right?
- A Lemon or two
- Your favorite dipping sauce
Here's my favorite and easy Tartar Sauce:
Chopped Green Onion
Finely grated Parmesan Cheese (I usually use the stuff you can buy in the canister because it's easy at camp).
Keep mixing and tasting until you get it to your liking.
I like to serve this with a crisp salad or coleslaw to balance the fried patties.